Meant to get this done earlier but have been pretty busy with work and what not but I’ll blog about that later. Continuing on…


So about 30 minutes before I got the rejection letter from Qualcomm at sushi night, I got an email from Intel in Irvine about setting up a phone interview. I had seen their opening for a pre-silicon validation engineer on BruinView a few days ago and applied.

The phone interview went pretty well. The interviewer asked a couple of technical questions but most of the questions were about school projects, my passions, and interests. At the end of the interview, the interviewer invited me for an onsite interview that Friday.

It took me a while to find the Intel building since all the buildings at the UCI University Research Park are identical. Thankfully I was able to find the building with enough time to down a couple Jack and the Box breakfast sandwiches. The onsite interview was similar to the one I had at Qualcomm. I interviewed with four engineers but each interview at a different focus.

The first interview was focused on digital design. The interviewer asked me to use a D flip-flop to divide the clock by 2. I was struggling throughout the whole problem and had to get a couple of hints from the interviewer before I got an answer. It was a pretty easy question in my opinion so I felt pretty dumb.

The questions in the second interview were more on hardware – transmission lines, CMOS, noise, power. The interviewer was really intimidating and I hadn’t taken a EE class since junior year so this interview was the hardest by far. I just answered all the questions I could but had no clue about a few of them.

Then I met with another engineer who asked me a bunch of programming questions. He asked me a few problems and told me that I could answer the problem in any language I wanted. I chose C. I was able to answer all the questions but needed a little help on the last one. The interviewer said the last problem is the hardest and that almost everyone needs a few hints to solve it.

The last interview was the most chill. The interview was focused on teamwork so I was asked a lot of “how would you respond if…” questions. I answered with a few references to the logic design lab and V-SET. Yay for no technical questions! Afterwards the manager came to chat for ten minutes or so. He let me know that I will likely hear a response in 2-3 weeks since a few people are flying out from New York to interview next week.

While I was waiting for Mike to pick me up after the interview, I sat at a table outside at Starbucks and started writing out all the questions I couldn’t answer. I wanted to remember the questions so I could look up the answers over the weekend and not make the same mistakes again. I had plenty of time too because apparently Mike got into a little accident on the way over. He later told me that he was praying that God would humble him.

When we got back to Mike’s place, we had about an hour to kill before praise night. I played Monopoly Deal with Jimmy while Mike was looking through insurance stuff. At praise night when people asked me how the interview went, I told them it was like a hard exam. “Hopefully the curve saves me”.

During the weekend I wrote a thank you note to the manager and asked him to forward it to the engineers I interviewed with. The next Monday the manager wrote me an email thanking me for the note and offering me a position. I was in shock for a good 30 minutes. It all happened so fast. Literally a week before I was back at square one after being turned down from Qualcomm. Now I had a full time job offer from Intel, a company electrical/computer engineers would kill for. Crazy! I was wondering if they made a mistake and had me confused for someone else.

They gave me until that Friday to make a decision about the offer. I spent a lot of extra time in the Word and prayer that week asking Him if this is where He wants me to go. Taking this job would keep me from serving in Bruin ICA next year and from serving the guys in the bible study. When I talked with people from ICA about my decision, I got the feeling that they wanted me to stay.

After much thought, prayer, and talks with people I decided to take the offer. After the decision was made, I felt that other people were ‘disappointed’ in my decision. People started treating me differently for a while. But I stand beside my decision. I know what I’m getting myself into and I know what I have to give up, but I’m confident this is where God wants me to be.


So I was informed a few days before I went off to V-SET (Summer 2011) that my mom had a few tumors on her head and that one of them was cancerous. The parents said they wanted to wait to tell us during summer break so that we wouldn’t worry while we finish our projects and cram for finals.

While I was on V-SET my mom was visiting doctors in LA and having a couple of operations to remove the malignant tumors on her cheek. I would pray for her whenever God brought her to mind.

During the 2012 winter quarter, my mom flew out to Boston to spend a couple of months getting radiation treatment. Apparently this hospital in Boston specializes in this rare form of cancer. My dad even flew out and stayed with her for a week. Mom and dad would send out email updates every once in a while to family/friends/church. I think I even posted one of them on this blog.

Now my mom is back in California, done with all the radiation treatments. She still has to go get checked up every once in a while to make sure the tumor doesn’t come back. But for now, she seems to have made a full recovery and has regained all her strength. Mom and dad both seemed very calm throughout the whole process. It was very evident that my mom knew that this whole situation was part of God’s plan and that He was in control. I never saw her freak out or break down and cry. She was just calm like she always is.  She was always giving glory to God through this whole mess. Props.